Packing the birth center bags

Tomorrow I will be 37 weeks pregnant and over the last couple of days I’ve had a lot of contractions. I’ve actually had the bags packed for a while but I finally put the finishing items in the bag today.  I thought I’d share what I packed and my goal is to update this after birth to what I actually used, what I didn’t and what I wish I had. 

I feel like I’ve packed a lot of items and at the same time, I don’t feel like I’ve packed enough. So if you read this and think of something I really need, please comment. 

We do come home 4-6 hours after birth so I don’t need a ton of items. 


Bathroom bag. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1qy7r44sGtZEcKYnf9wBCIF3Zc4Fl6T-v
The bathroom bag was the first on my list. I packed new travel toothbrushes for both nick and I. I packed toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. I also packed some face wash and face towelettes, in case I don’t want to stand and wash my face. I’m packing dry shampoo, and spray deodorant. Since I’ve struggled with heartburn my entire pregnancy, I’m also packing two types of tums but I’m hoping that I won’t have to use them when in labor. I’ve heard that your hands and lips can dry out really bad during labor so I packed 2 types of chapsticks and my favorite hand lotion. I’m also someone who likes to use essential oils sometimes. So I packed a few that I can add to my water either during labor or after. I also brought some that I can hold and smell or put in a wash cloth. 

Next up: my bag 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=13b_rUrri4HcWQvRE0LrDaUJsWoq5xyUC
I chose a birth center so that hopefully I can deliver in the tub. So I’m packing 2 types of tops to wear in the tub. I got this bikini top that is a halter so once baby is born, I can quickly undo the top and place baby on my chest but it’s also a deep v neck so I don’t have to completely undo it if I don’t want to. The second top that I’m bring is the most amazing sleep bras I’ve ever bought. I bought a pack of 2 at kohl’s and I absolutely love them. They are nursing sleep bras. They’re made from a Jersey knit fabric and they’re so comfortable. If I don’t wear it during labor or in the tub, I will probably end up wearing it home. I might go back to kohl’s and get more before I go into labor. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1qlC3DQnFVeqtpRMCSMlDGfSq5zuRlk5E
Next up is my labor help. I wasn’t sure what to really call these. I bought these labor cards off of Amazon and nick and I went through them the other day and they look like they will be so helpful. I’m also bring this rice pack. I decided to bring this rice pack instead of my favorite one just in case 1) it gets dirty or 2) it just left behind. I’m also bring headphones and a speaker(which isn’t pictures due to charging) for music. I’m not normally a big music person when I’m in pain or having a migraine but I’d rather pack them and not need them than want them. Not pictured is my iPad that had different positions and labor help on it as a pdf. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1H7Qc3YGhUPNsiqXVWxIKPHQopYaJbJjm
I bought 2 labor gowns that have multiple snaps and such so they will work while in labor and/if we have to transfer to the hospital. I’m bring 2. Hopefully to wear 1 while in labor and wear 1 after labor but before we go home. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ClpdEI2ByJh5HfA3ckwxeBb9q430ZT-5
Going home outfit.  It’s April here in Indiana and you never know what the weather is going to be like. The other week it was 76 degrees every day, this last week it was 50 something every day  and this coming week they say it’s going to snow lol 😂 so I’m packing my favorite pj pants, a nursing bra, a nursing/maternity tank top and a long sleeve shirt. If it’s warm, I’ll just wear the tank top and if it’s really cold, I’ll wear the long sleeve shirt and make Nick start the car before we leave lol 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1RAZmxGVvTMFYhC_hDb4EKmnv409OZ3G1
Extras:  I’m packing a pair of socks, slippers, depends, headband, letter board, first stuffed animal for Della that her daddy brought (I’m hoping to put this out in the room for a visual when in labor) and a gown that matches a swaddle. Not pictured that is also packed is our phone chargers, iPad chargers, my makeup bag (in case I want to put some makeup on) and a wet sack that I’m bringing for whatever clothes I use in the tub or shower. I’m also ordering a small Battery Fan so I’ll pack that when it gets here. I’d also like to bring my pillow if I remember to grab it. 


Next bag: Rosadella’s bag 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1sk11VawPS5HwvXhQJoSS3rjplz7aTjr6
Her car seat. The base is already installed and it was the easiest base I’ve ever installed. I’m bring 2 receiving blankets. One of these has a special meaning to me cause it was the blanket I used on my baby dolls as a child. So I’m excited to be able to use it for my own baby. Next I packed some diapers. I packed both newborn and size 1 along with some wipes. I packed her llama lovie and a cute headband that I bought. I’m also bringing a car seat cover in case it’s cold and we want to cover her car seat. The final item pictures is the matching swaddle and hat to my robe. Not pictured is her coming home outfit. I’m bring both a newborn and 0-3 month. But I want to save those for her announcement picture. Also if I can get it finished, I will pack her blanket that I’ve crocheted this entire pregnancy. 

Last bag: Nick’s 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1wXHF-xJYCxKVX540AtcbWcN-JKPM1D_Z
He might throw more things into the bag when it’s time. But for right now, he has a sweatshirt, 1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of athletic shorts, 1 tshirt, 1 tank top, 1 pair of socks, and swimming trunks. He probably won’t, but I wanted to be able to have the option for him to get into the tub or shower with me at the center which is why I’m bring his swimming trunks. Also pictured is his deodorant that I forgot to pack in the bathroom bag. 

We also have packed a snack bag  with a ton of snacks. Probably way more than we need lol but we want to be prepared. 

The final list of items that we will grab before we leave is..
1. Our nice camera 
2. Our meds. Nick has daily meds and I have daily meds. 
3. Extra mask for nick. I have these by our front door. 
4. My pillow 
5. Some type of freezer meal that I’ll eat after birth. I’m hoping to make single serving lasagna that I can keep in the freezer to grab before we leave. But we also have sandwiches stuff on hand that we’ll grab if I haven’t made anything. 
6. These seem stupid to put on a list but I want to make sure we don’t forget. But my phone, my iPad, and Nick’s phone
7. Both wallets 
8. Hannah’s water bottle 



Let me know if there’s anything you think I’ve forgotten and what I shouldn’t be packing 

But based on the amount of contractions that I had last night, I’m hoping she comes soon

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are well prepared!
    Does Lafayette have a birth center now? Or do you still have drive to Indy for a natural birth?
    Lauren was born at a birth center, with Certified Nurse Midwives attending. (38th St & Cold Spring Rd, in Indy) Where will you be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Lafayette doesn't have a birth center anymore. The last birth center closed in 2016. We will actually be driving to Indy to a birth center. It's called Sacred Roots and I've really enjoyed having them as my provider. I really like everything about this birth center. So I'm looking forward to seeing how birth will be

      Delete

Wanna to read a big hit?